Friday, June 18, 2010

Turtles and things

This time of year, the turtles shamble out of our lake in the back and find the nearest mulch patch to bury their eggs -- which always happens to be my garden. They dig and destroy all plant life nearby with single-minded resolve in their effort to protect their unborn. I don't mind so much. I just replant whatever they dug up and it always survives. The law of nature I guess. But there's another law of nature that disturbs me more. After the poor turtles fastidiously waddle slowly from their homes in the lake, after they bury and rebury and sigh over the laying of their eggs, after they waddle back content that their offspring are now safe. . . the coyotes come along at night, dig up the eggs and --


Well, need I paint a picture?



1 comment:

J. Elis Morgan said...

Testing blog link #1